Dental Exams and X-Rays
Regular dental exams are important to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. The examination performed by the hygienist or doctor includes:
- Medical history: We will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
- Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Dental x-rays are in invaluable tool in diagnosing many diseases of the teeth and surrounding tissues that cannot be seen with a visual examination. Dental x-rays reveal the presence of cavities between the teeth, infection of the bone, periodontal disease, cysts and abscesses. Early diagnosis can help prevent irreparable damage.
We have invested in digital radiography for our patients because the resolution and contrast is far superior to the traditional x-ray and there is less exposure to the patient.