Our office will be offering free oral cancer screenings during the entire month of April. Please call 508-995-5105 to schedule your appointment.
Each year in the United States, about 43,250 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed. It kills one person every hour of every day. However, many people are unaware of the need for an oral cancer screening annually.
Cancer can affect any part of the mouth, including the lip or tongue. There are two pathways by which most people come to oral cancer. One is through the use of tobacco and alcohol, and the other is through exposure to the HPV virus which is now the leading cause of oral cancers. The HPV (human papillomavirus) can cause cancer that affects the base of the tongue and tonsils. HPV is very common and many people have the virus in their bodies and don’t even know it. The fastest growing segment of the oral cancer population are young, healthy, non-smokers due to the connection to this virus.
Symptoms of oral cancer may include:
- A sore or irritation that does not go away
- Red or white patches
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the mouth or lips
- A lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing,speaking, or moving jaw or tongue
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth
- Hoarseness or other changes in your voice
The visual and tactile exam is simple, painless, and quick.
We want to help you recognize your risk factors and maintain your oral health .
EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!